The Department of Procurement Services is the centralized purchasing body for the city of Richmond. We are
building the "Best Richmond" by promoting high standards for all business relationships and ensuring that
citizens receive the maximum value for each tax dollar expended.
Our goal is to enhance the provision of direct and indirect services to the citizens of Richmond by obtaining
high quality goods and services at reasonable cost, and ensuring that the procurement process is as competitive
and objective as possible.
It is the organization's policy to operate in accordance with all federal, state, and city regulations and laws
pertaining to the public procurement process.
Our Vision & Mission
Support the city by performing the procurement function in a customer-focused, strategic, ethical, and transparent
manner while ensuring opportunities to diverse suppliers and complying with applicable governing laws and policies.
Statement of Values
We Are All Accountable.
- Take personal accountability for our actions and results
- Focus on finding solutions and achieving results
- Actively engage in discussions and commit to supporting the decision
- Involve others in decisions and plans that affect them
- Keep promises and commitments made to others
- Personally commit to the success and well-being of teammates
We Act With Integrity and Show Respect.
- Demonstrate a commitment to integrity and ethics
- Show respect for and value all individuals for their diverse backgrounds, experiences, approaches and ideas
- Listen to others for understanding
- Assume positive intent
- Demonstrate honesty and transparency in our day-to-day practice
We Are Committed To Continuous Process Improvement.
- Being proactive in initiating change and improvement
- Continuously challenging and asking “why?”
- Developing innovative and compliant solutions to improve customer service
- Encourage and reward innovative thinking
We Invest In Our Team.
- Sharing knowledge and experience through teamwork
- Participate in professional development educational opportunities
- Read professional publications to stay abreast of latest trends
We Are Here To Serve Our Customers.
- Anticipate potential impediments and find solutions to improve service
- Actively listen and understand the needs of our customers
- Provide guidance to enable timely procurement processing
- Be available and responsive
The Department of Procurement Services maintains memberships in the following groups:
- National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP)
- Virginia Association of Governmental Purchasing (VAGP)
- Capital Area Purchasing Association (CAPA)
- American Purchasing Society (APS)