General Relief (GR) provides limited financial assistance to individuals and families. Someone who is
eligible for assistance from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security
Income (SSI) may be eligible for GR.
You may be eligible for General Relief if you:
- Are able to work but are unemployed (pregnant woman only).
- Are unable to work because of a disability, or because of illness in the family.
- Are in an adult care residence, a treatment center, halfway house, or group home.
- Have ongoing medical needs.
- Have applied for SSI (Supplemental Security Income).
- Have a minor child in the home but do not qualify for TANF because the child does not meet the
family member/relationship requirement.
- Have emergency shelter needs.
- Require burial assistance up to $2,310 per burial.
Apply for General Relief
- Download and print an application
- Fax completed application to (804) 646-7018
- Mail completed application to:
City of Richmond Department of Social Services
900 E. Marshall St.
Richmond, VA 23219
For more information:
- Call 3-1-1 for information on the application process or to speak with a customer service
- Visit one of our three Social Services locations for assistance.