Richmond VA > Department of Social Services > Home

Last Updated: 2010-01-15


To strengthen families, assure safety, promote self-sufficiency, and improve the quality of life for all citizens of the city of Richmond through community engagement.


Empowering all citizens to attain, regain and sustain a healthy independence

David Hicks, Interim Director

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit program?

Go to the IRS website by clicking on the link below.

  • IRS EITC  - Earned Income Tax Credit - Questions and Answers

How can I become a foster parent?

If you are interested in becoming a foster parent, please call (804)646-KIDS (5437).

How do I apply for benefits?

If you need help with the following benefits, visit one of our three locations, or contact us at 311.

You can also complete the Virginia Department of Social Services Online Application for Benefits.

How do I report abuse and neglect?

If you suspect abuse or neglect and have concern for a child's safety, please call the 24-hour abuse and neglect hotline at (800)552-7096.

How do I get help with heating and cooling expenses?

Help with heating and cooling expenses is available at certain points during the year. For more information or to apply for benefits, visit one of our three locations or contact us at 3-1-1.

How do I get in touch with Richmond Comprehensive Services Act (CSA)?

The Richmond Comprehensive Services Act office can be reached by calling 646-7445.

I’ve lost my Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. How do I get a new one?

If an EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, the cardholder can call the toll free, 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at (866)281-2448. After verifying the identity and address of the cardholder, the original card will be deactivated and a new one issued. If the cardholder’s address has changed, the cardholder must notify RDSS of the address change by calling 311 or their Benefit Program S pecialist. To obtain a new card in an emergency, contact Richmond Department of Social Services by calling 311 or visiting a service location.

How do I check the balance available on my EBT card?

To check the balance available on the EBT card to make food purchases, cardholders can call the customer service line at (866)281-2448 and enter the 16 digits on the front of the card. At the point of purchase, some stores will allow the cardholder to swipe the card, enter the PIN and check the available balance. Cardholders can also access their balance and transaction history online by selecting "Virginia" and logging in or creating an account.

Where do I send the information verifying my application for SNAP?

If you were instructed to send additional information for your application, please send copies in an envelope, with the name of your Benefit Program Specialist, if known, to

900 E. Marshall St.
Richmond, VA 23219

Information for Seniors?

Senior Navigator

Contact Information:

Social Services
City of Richmond
Marshall Plaza Building
900 E. Marshall St.
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Customer Care Center: 3-1-1


East Richmond:
East District Center
701 North 25th Street
Richmond, VA 23223-6539
Map It

Marshall Plaza Building
900 East Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1538
Map It

South Richmond:
Southside Community Service Center
4100 Hull Street Road
Richmond, VA 23224-1745
Map It

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.