Last Updated: 2010-07-22

The Bell Tower

This brick tower was built in 1824 to replace a wooden one on this site. It rang in legislative sessions and warned of fires, raids and other dangers. It is now a state visitors' center and is located in the Capital grounds.

Belle Isle

One-of-a-kind pedestrian suspension bridge starts under the Lee Bridge on Tredegar Street. The one-mile trail around the edge of the 54-acre island includes a walk along the falls of the James and Civil War earthworks. For more information, call (804)780-5311.

Bolling Haxall House

Located at 211 E. Franklin Street, this grand home features many changes in Richmond architectural styles in the late 1850's. The house was built for a flour-milling heir in 1853. It is open for tours by appointment. For more information, call (804)643-2847.

Canal Boat Tours

Enjoy a canal boat tour with Richmond Canal Cruises. Dates and times are seasonal and weather permitting. Call (804)649-2800 to verify current hours of operation.

Canal Boat Tour Services

At the Turning Basin, located at 14th and Dock Streets, join Richmond Canal Cruises for a 35-minute historically narrated tour of the James River and Kanawha Canal. Canal boats, which are reminiscent of canal boat freighters from the 1800's, hold up to 38 passengers and are wheel chair accessible. Some of the tour boats are equipped with canvas covers while others are open. Tours run on the hour. Tickets are $5.00 for adults, $4.00 for seniors and children 5-12 years. Children 4 years and under are FREE, when accompanied by an adult.

Private Charter Services and Dining Charters

Please call Richmond Canal Cruises at (804)649-2800 for details on reserving a 1-hour private charter aboard a canal boat for up to 38 passengers on one of canal boats. Canal boats, which are reminiscent of canal boat freighters from the 1800's, hold up to 38 passengers and are wheel chair accessible. Some of the tour boats are equipped with canvas covers while others are open. Private charters can be historically narrated or can be catered by your favorite restaurant or bring your own refreshments! Additional hours can be added at your request.

Rental Boat Services

Navigate the Haxall Canal at Brown's Island in a 6 passenger electric boat. This is a drive-yourself experience and the hourly rental rate is $20.00. Dates and times are seasonal and weather permitting, so please call (804)649-2800 to verify current hours of operation.

Canal Walk

Adjacent to north bank of James River from Tredegar Iron Works at Fifth Street to 17th Street, with pedestrian entrances to the walk at Tredegar Iron Works, Seventh, 12th, 14th, 17th and Virginia Streets (accessible to people with handicaps). Markers note people and events associated with the area's history. Restoration of the Haxall and Kanawha Canals and construction of the Canal Walk provide opportunities for waterfront strolling, canal boat rides and venues for outdoor concerts and special events. For more information, call (804)648-6549.

Capitol Square and Virginia State Capitol

Located at Ninth and Grace Streets, The Virginia State Capitol is the first public building of neo-classical style in the United States designed by Thomas Jefferson and is where Virginia's General Assembly meets. Free-guided tours are available.

Capitol Square features several monuments: Jean Antoine Houdon's life sized statue of George Washington - the only statue in existence for which Washington posed - in the Capitol Rotunda, as well as busts of other Virginia-born presidents. The statue in Capitol Square depicts Washington on horseback.

Old City Hall

Located at 1001 E. Broad Street, this Victorian Gothic building, completed as Richmond's city hall in 1894, is as dramatic inside with its 3-foot granite walls as it is outside. Now a private office building, the interior "courtyard" is a three-story painted cast-iron marvel. Troubled from the beginning, with a 400% cost overrun during its construction, the building was saved from demolition by the Historic Richmond Foundation. Visitors welcome on the first floor only. The building is open during normal business hours.

The Egyptian Building

Located at 1223 E. Marshall St., the Egyptian Building, designed by Philadelphia architect Thomas S. Stewart, was completed in 1845 and has been in continuous use since it was built. The building was the first permanent home of the Medical Department of Hampden-Sidney College (later the Medical College of Virginia). Originally the building housed medical lecture rooms, a dissecting room, an infirmary and hospital beds for medical and surgical cases. The building is constructed from brick, stucco and cast iron.

The Egyptian Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. It is considered to be the finest example of Egyptian Revival architecture in the United States. Get a Map

Executive Mansion

America's oldest, continuously occupied governor's residence, this National Historic Landmark displays silver, china, carpets and furnishings donated by the citizens of Virginia. Both the bodies of Stonewall Jackson and Arthur Ashe, Jr. laid in state at the mansion. For more information, call (804)371-2642.

Farmers' Market

Located at 17th and Main Streets, this marketplace is said to be one of the oldest such places in the country. Shockoe Creek once ran adjacent to the site used by Indians to trade in produce. Colonial use dates to the 1740s when the area was designated for fairs. In 1779, the site officially became a market and has continued as such ever since. Markets are held on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning.

For more information, call (804)780-8597.

The Jefferson Hotel

Located at 100 W. Franklin St., the Jefferson is Richmond's only five star hotel. Originally built in 1895, this grand Richmond hotel was damaged severely by fire in 1901 and reopened only months later. Edward Valentine's statue of Thomas Jefferson stands in the upper lobby over a pool that once was the home of live alligators. A staircase offers a first-class view of the opulent lower lobby.

For more information, call (804)788-8000.

John Marshall Hotel

Located at 101 North 5th St., the John Marshall is a historic landmark, located in the heart of downtown Richmond. Spiro T. Agnew, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter have been guests, as well as Lawrence Welk, Elvis Presley, Vincent Price, Mary Tyler Moore and Elizabeth Taylor. For more information, call (804)783-1929.

Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden

Located at 1800 Lakeside Ave., the Garden was founded in 1984 and covers over 25 acres. This non-profit organization focuses on education, horticultural display and botanical research. For more information, call (804)262-9887.

Library of Virginia

Previously housed in a building facing Capitol Square, the Library of Virginia moved in 1997 to a stunning new building at 800 E. Broad St.. Since 1823 this institution has collected and preserved the records of Virginia's history and culture. The collection includes 83 million manuscripts and ore than 1.5 million books, periodicals, newspapers, prints, photographs and maps relating to Virginia's history. For more information, call (804)629-3592.

St. John's Episcopal Church

Located at 2401 E. Broad St., this church is one of the oldest wooden buildings standing in Virginia and the oldest church in Richmond. It is the site of Patrick Henry's "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" speech. The exact dates and times of reenactments of Patrick Henry's famous speech can be obtained by calling (804)648-5015.

Contact Information:

Office of the Press Secretary
City of Richmond
900 E. Broad St., Room 201
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Phone: (804)646-7985
Fax: (804)646-5945

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.